Monday 3 November 2008

Wolf Howard


Wolf Howard seems to be a pin hole photography expert.
The work exibited on Howard's website seems to be somewhat selective and stick to a certain theme. He has exibited shots of older items, which look like artifacts of war time. I imagine this is because the old effect cast over pin hole shots matches best with objects associated with those times.
He said "There is something special about a pinhole camera. There is a beauty in its simplicity and rawness that technology has not been able to better.". I understand this statement, I like his work.
The photo pictured left, courtosey of www.stuckism.com shows a somewhat simple picture taken with a pin hole camera. I find the process of producing prints with a pinhole frustrating as I find it difficult to achieve good, clear shots like this one.
But I envy Howard as he has mastered the art of pin hole photography with his purpose-built and very effective 4" x 4"pinhole camera. He has produced great shots which are arguably more exciting & simple than digital or film shots and his simplicity has inspired me to believe that maybe the importantance behind pin hole photography is the quality of simplicity, not neccessarily the objects in it. Coversley, is it not possible to turn modern day objects into shots with with a much more dated theme using a pin hole camera?


No comments: